Sunday, August 30, 2015

Classicists at War: An Unfinished Image Essay

In January of this year, I began work on an image essay comparing John Ford's masterpiece The Searchers to American Sniper, Clint Eastwood's recent examination on the wars in the Middle East. Besides their attention to American iconography, both struck me for the core conservative values at the heart of each film that the directors felt they were challenging within themselves, never attempting to simplify their depiction of the world. I also began work because the attacks on Eastwood's film, especially in regards to its xenophobia, reminded me of the years of attacks on The Searchers, where critics and scholars have mistaken Ford's portrayal of racism as a direct reflection of the director's own values. Finally, Eastwood and Ford interested me in what has been called a type of "classicism" of directing, where editing and gestural actions are kept in a balance to turn simplistic images into iconographic and representational ones.

I eventually got busy and abandoned the project. It was too big, too massive in scope, and at some point, I wasn't sure the images could say everything I saw in them. It didn't hurt that my friend and colleague Niles Schwartz published one of the best pieces written on the film. However, I was cleaning out my desktop today and noted a resonance in the images once again, so I leave this as my work in progress.





 



















































































































3 comments:

Tanvir Studio said...

Today i am feeling so much happy because today i complete a essay. DO you know who helped me to write fantastic essay? Typer Essay helped me to write fantastic essay. Thank you so much.

susan said...

Students wonder how they can use essay typer. This site allows you to plug in on any subject. This webpage helps you and provide you a sample. There is also word setup, which helps you how to essay typer. You start typing ad generate paper appears on the screen about any topic depending on your keywords. You can use keywords and these keywords can be used for generating essay. This keyword help streamlines the outcome and essay generate. For essay typer sign, you can also sign in with the help of facebook or twitter account. When you start this application, it provides you some instruction about essay typer and how to use it. Just like a paper, this might be delivered in some second. You can use this reliable application for essay generating. You simply put some keywords according to your topic and essay tool generator help you in typing essay. Essay Typer
live assignment help

The Custom Boxes Print said...

I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post the first time.
I want to say thanks for this post. Thank you…
Custom Packaging Boxes USA